Skip to main content

Does this constitute financial elder abuse ?

Palm Springs, CA |

My parents who spend time in California , own property in Mexico that they paid 80% to my brothers 20%. He is the only one on title , and now that they want to be on the title to establish ownership and will their share to another family member - or be sure they have the option to sell the home ( they desperately need the money from the sale for medical treatments to try and save his life ) he refuses . When they all 3 visited the attorney to add parents to title he flat out refused and was verbally abusive. The Son lives in California and father is terminally ill , financially strapped and mentally unable to defend himself against the son's will not to cooperate. They need some help !

I am able to help them pay for legal counsel so they will be able to hire an attorney .

+ Read More

Filed under: Elder law Elder abuse
Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

I am so sorry to hear about your parents difficulties. But I agree with Attorney Solis that you need to get an attorney involved.

May I recommend that you contact the Palm Springs Bar Association and apprise them of your situation. Some cities have attorneys who volunteer to assist the elderly. If such a group exists in or near Palm Springs hopefully the Bar Association will know.

Also, you may want to contact the Senior Center in your city and let them know about your parents' situation. Maybe they can provide some other ideas to assist your parents.

Good luck.


you need to hire an attorney to litigate this issue. Unfortunately, with little money it will be difficult, but unless he was tricked out of the money or his interest in the property, doubtful law enforcement will pursue it as elder abuse.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia


If the attorney who changed title and the real property are located in Mexico it is my opinion that your parents may need to resolve the issue in Mexico.

No legal representation exists by virtue of this answer. It is recommended that you contact an attorney directly for a more complete response.