Skip to main content

Does the Superior Court in CA have to notify me by mail of any and all court dates. If so, what is the civil code?

West Covina, CA |
Attorney answers 3


Yes, you are entitled to notice unless notice is waived in open court. For example, for motions, the notice provision is set forth under Code of Civil Procedure section 1005.

See also, Code of Civil Procedure sections 1005.5 and 1006.

Likewise, you are obligated to provide the court and the parties with any changes to your contact information:

California Rules of Court, Rule 2.200, provides that an attorney or self-represented party whose mailing address, telephone number, fax number, or e-mail address (if it was provided under rule 2.111(1)) changes while an action is pending must serve on all parties and file a written notice of the change.

Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice for a particular case. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult with your own attorney.


I agree with Mr. Chen's very good answer.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. The above answer is for general information only and is based on the information you posted. Every case is fact dependent, so to get a thorough analysis of your situation, you will need to consult face to face with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where the incident took place. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.


I agree with Mr. Chen.

Legal disclaimer:This message does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Any statements are made for general informational purposes and do not constitute legal advice. No attorney-client privilege is created by this communication. Attorney is licensed in California only.