Skip to main content

Does the law state you have to pay for a birthing bill at a hospital if one biological parent isn't working?

Twin Falls, ID |

I am a foster parent to a child and the biological father is terminating his parental rights on his child.The bio parents are not together or married. By law does he have to pay for all the hospital (birthing) fees,etc, just because the mother is unemployed? Shouldn't it be pinned on both of them? What right does he have to fight this?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


More detail is needed, but in most cases ever if the bio parent terminsates rights the obligaioion of child support remains for the child until age 18



because this is the third child placed in the system, the bio father does not have the financial means to provide for this child and instead of going through another two year case plan he wants to terminate his own rights, We were told he wouldn't be obligated to pay child support anymore but he would have to pay for the birth of this child. The bio mother is unemployed and living off SSI. So she is not paying for anything. We are curious why they BOTH wouldn't not be responsible for this hospital bill.


Mr. Brinkmeier is not entirely correct. First of all, when parental rights are terminated, there is no future child support obligation. In Idaho, however, termination when petitioned without an accompanying petition for adoption must be reviewed by the Department of Health and Welfare, and in these circumstances termination will not be recommended. The taxpayers simply have enough children to support already.

Regarding the birthing expenses, the obligation as between the two bio-parents may be allocated by a magistrate in a paternity action, but even then both parents are liable to the creditor, and the creditor is free to collect wherever it can. In other words, the creditor is not bound by the allocation.

Best wishes for an outcome you can accept, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.