Skip to main content

Does the "division of property" have to be met and/or paid before the divorce can be finalized?

Sugar Land, TX |

I was wondering through mediation do we agree upon what I am to be compensated for (Bedroom set, outdoor furniture, kitchen appliances, washer/dryer, truck)
I am the primary owner of our truck, he makes payments on it.
He is also required to pay spousal support.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


The mediated settlement agreement gets filed with the clerk of the court. An agreed judgment is drafted based on the settlement agreement. The petitioner appears before the judge and "proves up" the agreement. The judge signs it and you're divorced.

I am not intending this to be legal advice, because I don't know the particulars of your situation. Call me if you would like to discuss this or other isues.


Not necessarily. The timeline of when things are transferred can actually be PART of the agreement you come to in mediation. I would encourage you to get it in writing in the mediated settlement agreement, so that you can enforce it if you are concerned. If you don't have an attorney, please consult a Family attorney in your local area. Many attorneys, like myself, give a free initial consult and can give you clearer guidance based on all the specific facts of your case. Take all documentation with you for review by any attorney you contact, you will get a better assessment of your possible options and outcomes

This answer is general information which does not establish any attorney-client relationship between the person asking a question and the person answering, or a duty to respond to ongoing questions; nor is it intended to replace competent legal assistance in the jurisdiction where the matter/issue arises or is before a Court.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer