Skip to main content

Does Texas enforce out of state child support orders?

Niagara Falls, NY |

I currently live in NY state. I have a divorce decree with my ex husband that orders him to pay child support but we do not go through the CSEA (my choice). He has made mention to a few people that he would like to move to Texas because Texas does not enforce out of state child support orders. I am wondering if this is accurate.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Not true. Massachusetts is only state that has not yet adopted the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Enforcement Act. You can enforce your order if he moves to Texas.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise.


I have Michigan cases where parents zare receiving support from ex's living in Texas. No particular difficulty in collecting, other than the usual slow pay. If they fail to pay, our Prosecutor charges them with felony non-support, and they are extradited back to Michigan. Cases usually plead out to felony Attempt Fail to Pay, a 2 year felony. The Judge adds the cost of extradition to what is due the state. I hear the cross country van ride is unpleasant. Then, jail or prison time. When they get out, they have to start paying.

We do not have a client/attorney relationship until you make an appointment, we discuss your case face to face, I accept a retainer, and we explictly agree to enter into representation.