Skip to main content

Does one lie in a police report falsify the whole report?

Buffalo, NY |

I was able to obtain a copy of the police report, I noticed that in the police report the police officers and the detectives fabricated quite a few events, what are my options to address this matter?

The detectives and police officers fabricated events to add on additional charges.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Is this a criminal case? The report is not admissible in court but your lawyer may be able to use it to cross-examine the Police Officers and undermine their credibility.

The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


No. Not used as evidence anyway, work with your lawyer on the issues that really matter.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. DO NOT RELY ON ANY ADVICE YOU RECEIVE FROM ME OR ANY OTHER ATTORNEY IN THIS FORUM. Legal advice comes after a complete review of the facts and relevant documents and an expressed (written) agreement of representation that forms attorney-client confidentiality. Neither of these two events can occur in this forum. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. His answers to any Avvo question are rooted in general legal principles--NOT your specific state laws. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this or any other matter.


I agree with Mr Rothstein. The police report is inadmissible hearsay but can be used by an attorney to impeach the credibility of the police officers testifying at trial.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer