Skip to main content

Does NYS Child Support have the right to ask me questions and want proof and answers about my Tax Return that I send yearly?

Jamestown, NY |

I am a non-custodial parent who is obligated by court to pay support and send copy of my yearly tax return. I had a small business and closed it and moved last year due to family illness . I have had a professional prepare my taxes every year except for the last one I prepared myself. Child Support has NEVER inquired information to these until I did my own. Do they Legally have the right to ask me these questions and want proof?? If I don't comply, Will they most likely have me Audited by the IRS out of spite and rebuttal?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

No, they're not going to have you audited out of "spite" but if you are supposed to provide them with tax returns, do it. If they have questions about your return, that's a different story, and whether you must answer their questions depends upon who is asking and what they are asking.

Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: All of Ms. Brown's responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.



I have turned in my return as ordered. And NO my tax return was not shady. I did my taxes the same way my previous tax preparations were always done. The only difference is that this was my final business return, moved out of state and now unemployed.


The Support Collection Unit has the right to inquire into parts of your finances that it deems fishy or peculiar.


You can be required to provide your tax returns when you have a child support court proceeding.iRS has nothing to do with child support proceeding.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or