Skip to main content

Does my sons juvenile probation officer have the right to take away his cell phone?

Saint Marys, OH |

My son had been suspended from school two months after being put on probation, so as a punishment he ordered me to take his phone away. He then told my child that he was on "house arrest" until the next time we see him. I would like to give my son his phone back since he plays sports but I don't want to get him in trouble.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Follow the probation officers request, your son will not die. Ask the probation officer why he wants that done. Do not cuddle your baby!

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none, but many will offer a free consultation and a face to face meeting generally will be better, I like my clients to write a short one page history of the fact and questions they have prior to meeting with them, so nothing is forgotten.


Call the probation officer and discuss your concerns. The probation officer has broad authority over the terms but a juvenile court will usually listen to the parents. If you don't get anywhere with the probation officer you could write a letter to the judge or magistrate requesting them to modify the condition.

The responses of Attorney Chris Beck to any questions posed on Avvo do NOT establish an Attorney-client relationship. Attorney Beck is available for private hire and consultation for a fee. Only after Attorney Beck is retained as counsel, or agrees to discuss this matter with you privately, shall he be legally deemed to be your Attorney. His responses herein are an attempt to assist persons temporarily based upon the very extremely limited amount of information provided by the questioner


Counsel are correct in their advice - contact the officer to discuss your concerns, and set a good example for your son by following the rules until you've had them modified by the Court or the probation officer. Good luck to you both.

DISCLAIMER: Confidential Information should not be shared on the internet. Anonymous posts can be traced back to the original poster. Be careful what you share on this or any other website. I am a criminal defense attorney based in Central Ohio with offices in Delaware and Marion, Ohio. The laws of other states differ from Ohio's laws. I am not permitted to practice in other states without first obtaining special permission. Nothing on this or any other website creates an attorney-client relationship. If something I say differs from that of your current attorney, you should rely on the advice of your attorney. Your attorney knows the unique facts of your case including the court and other attorneys involved. If you doubt your attorney for some reason and wish to seek other counsel, you should do so in person, not over the internet. The internet is often a good place to gather information, but should not be considered a substitute for legal counsel. The information offered in my posts is for educational purposes only.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer