Skip to main content

Does my mother need to get her living will, will, Health Care POA, and POA redrawn now that she lives in Oregon?

Beaverton, OR |

My mother had her will, living will, health care POA and POA drawn up in North Carolina. She is now broke and can't pay to have these documents redrawn is there some help out there for elderly for free?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


It is not certain, as others have pointed out, that the documents will have to be completely redone. They should, however, be reviewed for compatibility with Oregon law. If you check with the county, city, or state bar association they may have a free legal service for these types of documents for individuals who meet limited income thresholds . The local health care organization you deal with as a provider of care may also be able to direct you to such a service.

Responses contained here-in are not intended, nor do they create an attorney-client relationship. Legal questions are best answered by full and complete consultation with a licensed attorney in your area who is licensed in your state of residence.


Legal Aid Services of Oregon may be able to help your mother because she's a senior, but I'm not sure they assist with estate planning documents.


Unfortunately, for most people it’s a good idea to get a new set of documents that clearly meet your new state’s legal requirements.

The materials available at this web site are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site or any of the e-mail links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between Howard Roitman, Esq. and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of the firm or any individual attorney.


If your moms is really "broke" she won't need much. There are good healthcare documents for free for just a few dollars on the internet. A POA is important and if your mom has more than just a few thousand dollars you should get one from an elder law attorney. But if all you are dealing with is her social security income in a checking account you are probably fine with the OR statutory form if they have one or a simple online form. However, if your mom has more assets or owns property you will want to make sure you talk to a good local elder law attorney as these forms become very important and poorly drafted forms provide little use if you are going to do any Veterans Benefits or Medicaid planning.

Every situation is different, it is important to discuss your legal issue with a knowledgeable attorney in your jurisdiction. To schedule an appointment with me please contact me at 800 220-4205 or