Skip to main content

Does my mom need a legal attorney

Snellville, GA |

im not sure of what happen i just know she called me from work crying saying she think she going to jail. j checked online and she did her charges say theif (shoplifting) she hasnt seen a judge yet and she doesnt have a bond yet.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


Absolutely, your mother should hire an attorney as soon as possible. The attorney can assist her in obtaining a bond, if a bond has not been set. More importantly, depending on her record, an attorney may be able to resolve the case without a conviction, and possibly with an expungement of her record.


If your mother got arrested for shoplifting on a holiday weekend, she will likely get bond faster, and may end up (especially if she has a clean record) with a better outcome, if she gets legal counsel very quickly.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.



Hire one as soon as possible

P Darrell Kimbrell

The information is provided for general purposes only and should not be relied upon. You are advised to consult with an attorney of your choosing, who can advise you on the particular facts and options in your case. No attorney-client relationship is intended or formed absent you executing a signed fee agreement. P. Darrell Kimbrell is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. Information provided is based only on Georgia law, and is not directly applicable to any other jurisdictions, states, or districts. This response, or any response, is not legal advice nor does such response create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information. Any state specific concerns should be directed to an attorney who is licensed to practice law in that respective state.


Any time someone is charged with a crime, wheer it is a misdemeanor or a felony, it Is best to consult an attorney. For a case like your mom's, you should consult an attorney in the county in which she is charged. A good relationship between the attorney and the prosecutor can go a long way toward getting a quick and favorable resolution in this type of case


Yes your mother need an attorney. Please feel feel,to give our office a call if you would like to discuss this matter further.


If she called you from work, I am assuming that there are charges for which she has not yet been arrested. It may be that she needs to turn herself in and get a bond set, which an attorney can do for her much more quickly and avoid the need for her to sit there for hours or days. Have her seek legal advice immediately. As otherwise stated, this charge could probably be handled quickly and without a blemish on her personal record.

The above information is general in nature. In order to obtain more specific and legal advice upon which to base your important decisions, please contact our office directly for a free phone or in person consultation. Robert M. Gardner, Jr. Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP 53 W. Candler St. Or 718 Oak St. Winder, Ga. 30680 Gainesville, Georgia (770) 307-4899 (770) 538-0555 serving metro Atlanta and all of Northeast Georgia Bankruptcy, Divorce, Personal Injury, Worker’s Compensation, Medical Malpractice, Adoption, Civil and Criminal Litigation