Skip to main content

Does my HOA need to pay for water damage from a leaky roof?

San Jose, CA |

Our roof in our townhouse leaked, and caused a large water spot on our ceiling. I reported the damage to the HOA office manager who responded the following day to advise me that someone was supposedly fixing the leak. When I asked about repairing the water damage, I was told I had to go through my insurance. The CC&R's state that the roof maintenance is HOA'S responsibility, and I've always been told any damage that results from their negligence should go through their insurance. The HOA office manager said no because they only have liability for the common areas. I have tried contacting their insurance to confirm this, without luck (3 voice mails, no response). The damage appears to be getting worse... What should I do now? T.I.A.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2

Posted need to address issues in writing with all parties your writing use copy of the pages from CC&R stating exactly what you allege.. do not expect people to just respond to voice messages..
that old customer service is unfortunately dead and people fail in our days to understand the word need to force them to do their job

Disclaimer:Attorney and Fraud Examiner.One of few that are Certified Fraud Examiners (CFE)*. The information contained in this website is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as a legal advice on any subject. No recipients of content from this site,clients or otherwise,should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the site without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from an attorney licensed in the recipient's state. The content of this website contains general information and may not reflect current legal developments, verdicts or settlements. The Karamanlis Powers Law Offices expressly disclaims all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all of the contents of this website, weblogs, twitter, facebook, google+. *the certification is not a specialty recognized by the California State Bar.


Provide a copy of the relevant portion of the CC&R's submitted directly to your Board of Directors with a formal claim, and request they send it to the insurance carrier.

If you have found this information helpful, please let the attorney know by marking best answer. Thank you. This participating Attorney does not warrant any information provided, nor are we creating an Attorney-Client relationship by providing said information to you on this site. Nothing contained herein is intended to constitute, offer, induce, promise, or contract of any kind. The content provided is presented as a courtesy to be used only for informational purposes and is not represented to be error free. The Law Offices of John N. Kitta makes no representations or warranties of any kind with respect to its answer to inquiries, and such representations and warranties are being expressly disclaimed. Given limited facts, we are attempting to share relevant information concerning this area of the law as a public service.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer