Skip to main content

Does my exhusband have to pay the settlement amount ordered by the judge after 1 year? we lost everything in a house fire.

Millbrook, AL |

in the divorce decree he was ordered to pay me money from the insurance money on the house and he has not paid it.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


More details would be needed for a complete answer. However, if the divorce decree requires him to pay and he refuses, then he may be subject to a finding of contempt and face whatever consequences the judge determines are appropriate. Consideration would be give to whether the divorce decree provided for any specific timeframe in which the payments were to be made, whether your ex has actually received the insurance proceeds, and whether there is some valid reason as to why your ex cannot pay. As with any family law question, I recommend you contact a family law attorney in the general area where your divorce decree was issued.

DISCLAIMER: Any information contained herein is intended for general informational purposes only. The information should not be construed as legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Seek competent legal counsel for advice on any legal matter.


Yes if that is what it says he most pay you. Hire a lawyer to take him back to court to address his failur to pay you. He may be ordered to pay your attorney fees also.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.