Does my co-worker's comments about me being "easy" and "liking 'em big" constitute sexual harassment?

A co-worker said I am "easy" (with a sexual connotation) and another time said, "I heard you like 'em big" (referring to male genitalia). Both comments were made in front of several co-workers. I was so embarrassed/shocked that I didn't say "Stop" either time. He also talks about male body parts and fluids, has discussed sex acts, simulated masturbation with his hand, and has drawn phallic images.

He's the boss' pet employee and reacts explosively to any kind of criticism, so I am not comfortable asking him to stop commenting on my sex life. I work in TV, so there's no HR, and I fear retaliation/blacklisting if I go to the boss -- who adores this person -- or someone else on staff. His bullying behavior has interfered with my ability to do my work, and it's starting to show. Thoughts? TY!

All that can be offered here is clarity: there is no perfect solution to the problem you describe. Certainly there is no way to complain without complaining, or to cause the matter to be rectified without surfacing as a complainant.

Either you complain or you don't. If you don't, you do not have a strong case for a legal claim. If you do, your boss may or may not act consistently with the legal obligation to investigate and correct the situation. But at least in that event, your next step is identifiable.

Only you can decide whether the admittedly genuine risks are necessary to take or worth taking in your situation.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

In most states you must report misconduct in order to demand that your employer rectify the problem and in order to perfect any claim made for sexual harassment

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. I hope my information is helpful to you. If you think this post was a good answer, please click the "Good Answer" button below and/or designate my answer as the "BEST ANSWER". Thanks. This is a general response to a question for basic information and is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be given when all of the facts of your situation are discussed with a lawyer, which we have not done.. If you reside outside the State of Texas please understand that the laws may be different from the laws that I may cite in a my comment. This comment is not to be construed as legal advice to your particular situation because there are many factors that influence legal counseling- this is simply a comment. Response to an email does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C., nor any of its attorneys. If you send us an e-mail, or call us, and we do not already represent you, neither your e-mail inquiry nor telephone call will create an attorney-client relationship. E-mails cannot necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. Only entering into a written legal services contract with the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C. will create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for one-on-one legal advice and you are urged to meet with an attorney and discuss your case, personally, with an attorney in the state in which you reside or your case occurred. Thank you. Kevin R. Madison. Visit our website at www.kevinmadison.com and www.texassexualharassmentattorney.com. Kevin Madison, Austin, Texas- representing injured persons in motor vehicle collision, truck and motorcucle accidents and representing victims of sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual abuse, physical assaults, and representing victims of sexual exploitation committed by doctors, therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, clergy, counselors, priests, and rabbis. Visit our sexual harassment/sexual exploitation blog at http://texassexualharassmentattorney.com/blog/

Maybe you can handle this as informally as possible and see what the results are. For example, is there a mutual coworker/friend that you and the harasser have? Perhaps that person can somehow tell him to think before he speaks and let him know how his "jokes" are not jokes to you at all. Best of luck.

Free consultation. Direct line- 855-637-0938 .24/7. Video/Phone/In-Person. aalok.sikand@gmail.com. I provide my clients with honest, thoughtful advice and diligent, vigorous representation in a number of practice areas. I serve Ventura, Los Angeles, Orange, Santa Barbara and San Diego Counties. I wouldn't take any of my answers on avvo.com as legal advice since there are still too many factors that need to be discussed before I can give you a reliable opinion.

Sexual harassment in the workplace is unlawful if it is either severe or pervasive. The conduct you describe may be grounds for a sexual harassment lawsuit IF your employer is aware of the conduct and aware that you feel "harassed" by it and does nothing to stop it. It is also important to make sure that you don't go along with it, laugh at his remarks as if you enjoy the jokes or invite the comments, etc. I recommend that you ask your co-worker to stop the unprofessional and inappropriate behavior and to advise your boss that you asked him to stop because it is unprofessional, inapproprite in the workplace and that it bothers and embarasses you. It is unlawful for your employer to retaliate against you for making the complaint. Make the complaint via email and just after sending, visit with your boss to discuss it. If it continues after you complain about it to you boss, call an employment law attorney.

Lyle v. Warner Bros is a famous case (coincidentally, the plaintiff was employed at the studio that produced the TV show, Friends) that suggests that courts are "not the arbiters of civility." In other words, even though employees have legal protection from sexual harassment, workplace jokes may fall short of harassment, especially if the recipient of the jokes "appears" to be a participant in the joke. Unlike the situation you describe, the losing plaintiff in the Lyle case was not able to show that the jokes were "directed at her." Nonetheless, juries don't like "joke" cases that don't involve propositions or touching, especially if there is an implicit acceptance/agreement with the joking behavior.

In my experience, when the recipient of the jokes/alleged harassment has ever said anything in jest that was sexually-charged or otherwise appears to be in collusion with the defendent/joker, that person will have a rough time convincing a jury that the joking caused distress or a hostile environment.

Finally, my understanding about the TV industry is that it is very cliquish and a history of litigation can be a red flag to future employers. I agree with the other commentators that say you need to come to a decision about how you want to deal with the bullying behavior and stand your ground. In particular, pay attention to what others are doing to better deal with the situation.

This answer is not a substitute for legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship.  Seek the advice of a licensed attorney before taking any action that may affect your rights

Kevin Rindler Madison

Kevin Rindler Madison

You should retain an attorney immediately to assist you in pursuing an EEOC complaint, immediately. A lawyer can assist you in making sure the proper paperwork is timely filed. Most attorneys do not charge hourly fees or a retainer. They are paid a percentage of whatever amount of money they are able to recover for you.

You concerns are appropriate, and it's your call how to resolve it.

This could absolutely be considered sexual harassment and might be a very good case. If the harasser is considered a superior of yours his actions may be attributable to the employer. Also, if the employer knows about the co-worker's comments and fails to prevent them the employer may be liable. This could be a very good case and you should consult with an attorney to help you plan a course of action. I'm sure you won't have any problems finding a good attorney.