Skip to main content

Does my aunt have right to my money that I put in her name?

Kansas City, MO |

I was given a settlement check and hired a financial advisor a while back. My aunt had me take it out and put it into her name when I moved in with her so I could get on food stamps. She still has a large portion of my money and says she's going to sign it over to my mom. It has just now become a problem because I have a warrant out and I was told my aunt that she would give me the amount of money needed to bond myself out when I turn myself in. Now she refuses to give it to me. Is there anything that says she has no right to my money?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


First, you have admitted to criminal conduct on the internet, by concealing funds in order to get food stamps, so you should now look for a criminal attorney.

Secondly, you aunt in theory holds the money in trust for you, but you have no leverage to get it back. If you sue, you are admitting in court documents, that you have committed fraud.

This comment does not create an attorney-client relationship. The law and its application by the courts is constantly evolving and changing. This discussion is not to be taken as a definitive guide, and should not be relied upon to determine all fact situations. Each set of facts must be examined separately with the current case and statutory law analyzed and applied accordingly.