Does my Answer to a Civil Summons need to be notarized or just my Certificate of Service?

Charlotte, NC |

I am responding to a Civil Summons by way of an Answer and Affirmative Defenses document. I am not sure if the Answer needs to be notarized and/or does the Certificate of Service need to be notarized. The case is due to a claim for credit card payment demanded of me.

Filed under: Credit

The rules for signing documents filed with the court are here: http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_1A/GS_1A-1,_Rule_11.html. Certificates of Service do not need to be notarized. Answers do not need to be notarized, either. If you are including an affidavit (sworn statement) as part of your Answer, however, it will need to be notarized.

(This response does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. Many times the questioner may leave out details which would make the reply unsuitable. The questioner should confer with an attorney about the specifics of their case.)