Skip to main content

Does my 7 yr old need a re entry permit after 7 months in Brazil?

Camarillo, CA |

I am a conditional green card holder and mother of a 7yr old .
My 7 yr old is a conditional green card holder and has been in Brazil for 7 months. Does she need to get a re entry permit after 7 months out of the US?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2

Best Answer

No, if it has been under a year, however be prepared for some extra scrutiny at the airport on your return.

Ricky Malik, []


She can only apply for a Re-Entry Permit in the U.S. Since she has been out of the U.S. for over 180 days, there is already a "rebuttable presumption" that she has abandoned her lawful permanent residence in the U.S. If she stays outside the U.S. for over one year, this presumption will become "conclusive".

For additional information, please see

This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice. You should rely only on the advice given to you during a personal consultation, telephonic or in-person, by an attorney experienced in immigration law. In the event that you have follow up questions, please post them directly on this site. This does not create an attorney-client relationship and the attorney does not read unsolicited emails. Thank You.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer