Skip to main content

Does leasing land from a neighbor not adjacent to ours fulfill the 2 acre or more requirement for ag zoning laws?

Healdsburg, CA |

We currently have almost 2 acres, but lease 1/2 an acre on a property adjacent to ours to fulfill the 2 acre unlimited animal ag zoning requirement. We raise dairy goats. They sold the property. If we lease a 1/2 acre from another neighbor whose property is not adjacent to ours and we keep a few animals on their property would that fulfill the 2 acre requirement? That is we would have over 2 acres available for our animals to be on, it just would not be directly next to ours, but within 1000 feet.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


It depends on the zoning ordinance and the interpretation of the zoning officer or ZBA, but typically minimum lot size requirements for a use zone must be met by fee (full) ownership of the land and the lots must be contiguous (touching) and perhaps even un-subdivided (recombined) into one lot. Most of the time leases don't cut it because the ownership of the land can change, unless you do something other fancy like get an easement for perpetual agricultural use on the additional land that "runs with the land" and binds future purchasers (so they can't buy it, build a house on it, and then complain about your cattle ranching and manure piles.

You may be able to get relief from the minimum lot size requirement from a variance from the ZBA.

If you're talking about ag districts in a non-zoning context, maybe the situation you've described works here, but typically not in a zoning situation.

As always, this is a very general answer about zoning, CA or local ordinances may be different and allow what you're seeking to do as a "use as of right" without further approvals, but if I had to guess, I'd say "no, what you want to do is a problem".

This answer is provided under the “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".


This question is probably too specific to your area to get an answer here, so you should consider consulting with a local Healdsburg attorney. That attorney can review your local code, and see if your specific situation meets those code requirements. In my experience as a Washington state attorney, I would say it is unlikely that by having non-adjacent land you are fulfilling a specific acreage requirement.

Jack Richard Lebowitz

Jack Richard Lebowitz


I noticed the California addy, but not Healdsburg. That being in prime Sonoma wine country, the ag district laws could be very specific and tricky. If asker was growing grapes, maybe the powers that be might cut him some slack, but not so sure about grazing goats. Enjoyed my last visit to the beautiful area, stayed in a house on the Russian River built around giant redwood tree in the courtyard, and the winery tours (although Healdsburg is to be avoided because of many people walking around while intoxicated with wine glasses at half mast :-)


You don't specify if you are in the County or the City. If in the County, the Sonoma ordinances would apply; if in the City, the City Municipal Code would apply. Either way, it is unlikely that leasing land offsite would qualify under any situation. If you'd like a consultation, I am in Marin County but work in Sonoma as well.

This response is not to be construed as establishing an attorney-client relationship, and provides general information on the subject at hand only.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer