Does Georgia recognize legal separation?

Lithia Springs, GA |

Ive been separated for 20 months now...ex has had uncontested papers for about a year now. She wont sign and I can afford contested divorce

Best Answer

Most Georgia attorneys handle pro bono (free) cases from time to time. Georgia Legal Services also does. Try to get a divorce not just a separation.

Hi ! I'm a mother trying to get away from a husband doing illegal activity for earning income. He has ran up debt in my name. I'm not sure if who his is doing business with is illegal but I have no idea where to start. I have a baby and I have no money because he ran up my cards 2 months after my child was born this year. It's all happened so fast and I finally left him because he wouldn't leave this shady business deal. Please if you have any pro Bono attortneys that could help me? I'm an college educated woman but I have no where turn because I haven't worked in a year so I could raise our child. On top of that he hasn't paid taxes for his company. I could go on and on. The credit cards where even taken out in my name when I wasn't working this was done through another shady business deal. I feel like a mafia wife with no money and fear for our life. I have no idea who he owes money to and he digging deeper and deeper into denial over his ways of non supporting our family . Please help. I will work for your law firm to repay. I'm so scared.

I'm so sorry for the typos... I'm so upset.

Georgia law will honor a separation agreement if properly executed, etc. Georgia does not have a special status called legal separation.

Under O.C.G.A. § 19-6-10 a separate maintenance action can be made when there is no divorce action pending between spouses, but there is no status as "legally separated" in Georgia.

Due to the length of time that you and your spouse have been separated, you may wish to explore mediation prior to filing your petition for divorce. Check out mediateB4Useparate.com for more information.