Skip to main content

Does family courts assist you with the proper filing on or have a procedure with checking your cover sheets?

Goose Creek, SC |
Attorney answers 3


The clerk of court does not provide legal advice. Some even have signs next to the windows expressly stating this fact. You should consult with a lawyer. Will utmost respect to you, it gets a lot more complex than figuring out which boxes to check on the cover sheet.

The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.


I agree with Attorney Nelson. The Clerk of Court maintains the custody of the Court's records and documents. They are not able to provide you with legal advice. There may be a self help center at your courthouse or a legal aid society that you can obtain help through. Otherwise, you may want to consult with an attorney in your area. Best of luck.

This answer is for general informational purposes only and should not be relied upon for your particular case nor is it intended as legal advice. I have not reviewed your case nor have I met with you and the answer to this question does not in any manner whatsoever establish an attorney/client relationship.


If you are filing pro se (representing yourself), then yes the family court clerk will help you with the cover sheets. If an attorney calls in (and more of us do that are willing to admit it) to find out which cover sheet to file and what to file on the sheet the clerk helps us out, too.

The cover sheets are much different than actually filing the paperwork for divorce on your own. Some counties have forms that you can find online to fill out as a pro se litigant. They are often self explanatory, but will contain some legal language that you need to find the definition for and make sure you understand.

If you are a pro se litigant and the other party is represented, you should definitely consult with an attorney. The amount you spend on the consultation could save you large amounts of money and protect your rights far beyond the amount of the consultation.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer