Skip to main content

Does EAD need to be re-issued everytime the alien enters United States?

Des Moines, IA |

I have a valid Employment Authorization Document (EAD) card. It is mentioned on my card "Not valid for reentry to U.S.". My question is that if I leave US on short term basis (eg. for few weeks vacation), will I need to come back and apply for EAD card again? If yes, what is the process followed?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

The words "Not valid for reentry to U.S." on your EAD mean that US immigration officials at ports of entry will not admit you to the United States based upon your EAD (unless the EAD also indicates that it is valid as a travel permit). It does NOT mean that your EAD becomes invalid simply because you leave the United States. An EAD is for the purpose of showing that you are authorized to work.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.


No. You will only need to apply for the EAD if it is expiring.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104


Have a nice trip. Bon Voyage.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and I have practiced over 38 years and can be reached at 213-819-1171. I practiced mainly in Los Angeles and Orange County, California. I am not seeking clients from existing relationships with other attorneys, and give only limited advise over the phone (the phone is primarily used to set appointments), these services do not create an attorney client relationship. I apologize for mispelling< as I am a lousy typist, My answers may offend as I do not believe in pulling punches or sugar coating the truth. Further regarding courts in other states my opinions are largely based on logic and what I think is the modern trend which is to consider the needs of the child.