Skip to main content

Does EAD go invalid when changing Visa from L2 to H4?

Seattle, WA |

The EAD was initially approved under L2 and valid for 2 years. Now I might need to change to H4, will the EAD still be valid for the approved 2 years?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

If you look at your EAD card it has a category under which you received the card. If you change visas, that results in you being present within the US under a different non immigrant visa, the EAD authorization ends.

Legal disclaimer: The statement above is provided by CC Abbott is based on general assistance and not intended to be a legal opinion because not all the facts are provided. The person requesting information and all others reading the answer should retain an attorney who is permitted by the state bar within the jurisdiction who can examine the complete facts and provide a legal opinion on your case. All information provided in the above answer and other information provided by CC Abbott does not create an attorney/client relationship within any state of Federal law.


The L2 carries the benefit of applying for the EAD card. The H4 does not allow for the same benefit. As soon as you obtain H4 status, you should not be using the EAD card.


I agree with my colleague. It is unwise to work without a valid EAD.



Your EAD becomes invalid the moment your status is changed to H-4.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.