Does DCF have any legal weight outside of it's jurisdiction?

Jacksonville, FL |

DCF ordered a shelter hearing to place my daughter with me( the father) and away from her mom. The hearing was in bevard county I live in clay. DCF wants to meet me in duval county. It doesnt sit right with me. Do they have rights in other countys?

DCF is a statewide agency and has jurisdiction throughout the state. Different people may represent DCF in different counties - for example child protective investigators in some counties are also law enforcement officers while in other counties they are not, but the agency itself is statewide and has statewide jurisdiction.

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******

Heather Morcroft

Heather Morcroft

Once your child is placed with you, it will be a case manager visiting you, normally at least once a month. The case managers are employees of private agencies that contract with DCF, usually on a region wide basis, so one agency might be in several counties. The Brevard county case manager would normally put in what is called an OTI request to have a case manager in Clay county assigned to your case. However, Duval is a much larger county, and if there are services available in Duval that are not available in Clay, or if they are meeting you in a public place rather than coming to your home, there is nothing to prevent them from making arrangements to meet you in Duval.