Skip to main content

Does civil cases conflict with criminal cases?

Floral Park, NY |

cop did illegal arrest and brutally beat my cousin he looking to couter sew

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Generally No. You could possibly sue under 42 USC 1983 or other civil rights claims.
Hire a lawyer to protect your legal rights.

The answers posted herein are not legal advice and no attorney-client relationship exists. Call for a free 20 minute consultation! THE ESTRELLA LAW FIRM, P.C. “LEGAL REPRESENTATION AND CONSULTING SERVICES THAT GO THE EXTRA MILE” -- Jeffrey J. Estrella, Esq. Licensed Attorney and Counsellor At Law/Abogado y Licensiado Licensed in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut The Estrella Law Firm, P.C. 75-20 Astoria Boulevard, Suite 170 Inside The Bulova Corporate Center Jackson Heights, NY 11370 T. (347) 628-2391 F. (718) 672-4728 E.


They are entirely separate cases. If you're asking whether the same attorney can represent him in a police brutality claim and defend him against the criminal charges; I believe they can. If there is some other conflict which you are concerned with you need to add more facts or clarify your question.

All answers are for information purposes only. Answering this question or any future questions does not form any attorney-client relationship. Be mindful, that answers are limited by the limited facts presented by the questioner and are not meant to take the place of competent legal advice by an attorney fully informed of all the facts surrounding your case. However, be aware that nothing posted in a public forum such as this can be deemed confidential or privileged communication.


They don't conflict but filing a civil suit may cause the DA to take a tougher stance in a plea.

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.


A criminal and civil case can co-exist as others have stated. However, a favorable outcome on your civil case could help negotiations on the criminal case . The opposite is also true. You should speak with an experienced criminal defense attorney, many offer free consultations and can go over the specifics of your matter.

The response above is intended for informational purposes only. The information provided is not intended to be, nor should it be interpreted as, legal advice or opinion. The reader should not consider this information to be an invitation to an attorney client relationship, should not rely on information presented here for any purpose, and should always seek the legal advice of counsel in the appropriate jurisdiction. Transmission and receipt of the information in this site and/or communication with me is not intended to solicit or create, and does not create, an attorney-client relationship between me and any person or entity.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer