Skip to main content

Does childsupport stop at age 18

Spokane, WA |

in washington state does a parent have to pay child support after the child turns 18 if he /she in in colledge if so for how long?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If the custodial parent complies with the appropriate statute, a non-custodial parent may be obliged to pay post-secondary support until the age of 23 upon proper proof.

The information is for general information purposes only. Nothing stated above should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation.


If you have a Parenting Plan in place, it should indicate if the issue of post-secondary education and support was agreed to, waived, or left open. Generally, if the issue was left open, the person requesting the support needs to file for modification before the child turns 18 or finishes high school, whichever is later.
An agreement can be made as to how long and what amount of support needs to be paid. Otherwise, the Judge will make the final decision. An attorney can help you decide what your best course of action is.


It depends on what your order of child support says about termination.