Skip to main content

Does brother in law qualifies as household member for joint sponsor if lives share same address?

Syracuse, NY |

My and my brother in law live in same house. Can he be household member to sponsor my spouse in affidavit of support? If he can what relation proof can be shown ? Please help

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

As long as you are the members of the same household your brother-in-law's income can be counted towards meeting affidavit of support requirements. You would have to submit supporting documents demonstrating his income and legal status in the U.S., this should be sufficient to show same residence address.


Repost in immigration

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or


Your brother in law could be a co-sponsor if he qualifies financially.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.



Can't he be household member . We live in same house. His and mine address are same.


Yes, he can be a co-sponsor.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer