Skip to main content

Does applying for food stamps will affect my pettition for my husband kids? My husband is a permanent resident already.

Bronx, NY |

My husband just got his permanent residence we are thinking on doing the petition for his kids. Can I apply for food stamps or any other help. My husband works it just not enough. Will that affect the petition for the kids.

+ Read More

Filed under: Immigration Green cards
Attorney answers 3


Yes, in that you will need to get a co-sponsor for the affidavit of support.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


You can apply, However, you will definitely need a co-sponsor for the affidavit of support.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


I agree with my colleagues. It will not affect obtaining the children's green cards but you will need to find a co-sponsor to sign the affidavit of support. The co-sponsor can be a U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident and must reside in the United States. Please consult an immigration attorney to determine the co-sponsor's annual income to be able to sponsor your husband's children.