Does AOS through marriage have anything to do with been in debt ?

Saint Paul, MN |

I just filed to obtain my green card after marriage, I went to school a few years ago and still have a few thousand dollars in debt ( credit cards and student loans ) I am not sure if that has anything to do with the AOS, my husband talked to a lawyer in a different state on the phone and he told him that I have to pay off my debt or the process will take forever! I am not working right now actually and its impossible for me to pay it right now ..please any advice?

No, but you must either have the income required for the affidavit of support requirement, or will have to find a co-sponsor with the required income.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Oh I am not the USC,my husband is ,he has a good job

Not really relevant for AOS purposes but unless you meet the financial requirements for the Affidavit of Support you must secure a co-sponsor to file an additional affidavit of support.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Debt, in and of itself, is not an impediment to the adjustment of status process. Get a second opinion!