Does any one have a good reference to the statute that defines the unlawful practice of law?

Brooklyn, NY |

Is it the unlawful practice of law to write a lease? Negotiate and write a contract? Can anyone point me to the exact definition? Very hard to find online.

NY Judiciary Law 478
http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/nycode/JUD/15/478

The above answer is intended for informational purposes and is not legal advice. It does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship.

Nicholas Devyatkin

Nicholas Devyatkin

Thank you! What about receiving compensation for writing of leases? Do you have to have license?

Gary Ralph Ilmanen

Gary Ralph Ilmanen

That sounds like the practice of law to me.

If you go to a law library in a court house you can free access to Westlaw or Lexis and read the case notes interpretting Judiciary Law section 478.

The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

The statute gives the general definition of law practice. There are a great many reported cases that interpret it. The essence of it is to give legal advice and representation to others.

Any opinions stated in response to Avvo questions are based upon the facts stated in the question. Responses to Avvo questions are for general information purposes only, and should not be construed or relied upon as legal advice.

Avvo personal injury email series

Sign up to receive a 3-part series of useful information and advice about personal injury law.