Skip to main content

Does an administrative law judge's decision have any variance or consequence in a superior court hearing re criminal charges?

Pasadena, CA |

1. County office demanded defendant to pay eight thousand dollars as a consequence of perjury and fraud.
2. County filed charges of perjury and fraud with DA.
3. Defendant requested a state hearing with state hearing division (SHD).
At the hearing, the county reported that the matter had been resolved and therefore no county action is pending or ripe for review since the county rescinded the collection of eight thousand dollars.
4. Defendant is arrested and incarcerated when he stepped out the the SHD hearing.
5. Defendant is scheduled to appear in a superior court re perjury and fraud criminal charges.

Agency: CDSS Nature: Not sure. Defendant requested a state hearing to dispute the payment of eight thousand dollars.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


It depends. What was the nature of the hearing and the identity of the State agency?

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship set forth in a written document executed by the client and by me or a member of my firm. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. I can give advice, make recommendations and answer specific questions only after reviewing the evidence and documents applicable to a specific client and following a personal meeting in my office in which the relevant facts can be developed and analyzed. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.


Need more information before an answer can be provided.

The information and legal suggestions made herein do not in any way create an attorney-client relationship. The responses provided herein discuss general principles of law and should not be relied upon by the asker in making legal decisions. Only an attorney who has met with the asker and fully reviewed the facts and circumstances of the asker's individual case should be relied upon for legal advice. If you find my suggestions helpful, please mark the appropriate box as helpful.


In addition to the other answers, this is really something that you should be discussing in person with a criminal defense attorney; especially now that you have been arrested, are facing criminal charges, and have an upcoming hearing.
Get a private attorney or ask for the public defender.


An administrative law judge's ruling is not binding in a criminal court, and there is no "double jeopardy" issue. The evidence taken at an administrative hearing is cross-admissible into a criminal case provided the material conforms to the Rules of Evidence as applied to criminal cases (including hearsay and hearsay exceptions).