Does allowing an empl to include a designation in her corp. signature block that is not applicable to the job imply that it is?

Austin, TX |

Our company does not consider the certification that the employee obtained to be applicable or relevant to the current position. The employee will not receive pay increases or other job recognition based on the certification obtained. If we allow her to include the designation after her name (ex. CPPIM, CFA, CPA) on her corporate signature block, does it imply that we recognize it as applicable to the job and should apply it toward her experience and achievement levels? Or does it just apply to her personal achievement and should be allowed?

Best Answer

Shoving letters at the end of an employee's name does not mean that person is entitled to more pay or promotions. However, if those emails are sent externally to clients or business partners then it could imply that employee has a certain level of expertise or authority in the company that she may not have. The implications of that mistaken authority will differ depending on the designation and the employee's role.

Thank you. The company provides loans but does not provide investment advice or make investments. The designation is CFA.

What difference does it make if you "recognize" it?

The employee may believe that it qualifies him for additional recognition in terms of job level and salary and customers may believe that it signifies a higher level of authority when it does not.

You hired her with these certifications and you recognize the certifications, don't you? If you hired her as a plumber and she answers her email with her certifications above, I'm not thinking it makes any difference to plumbing clients, do you? If company policy doesn't forbid it across the board, or in some other way, monitor certifications, I'm inclined to let her do it.