Skip to main content

Does a Snohomish County Sheriff have jurisdiction to issue a speeding ticket on the Tulalip Indian Reservation?

Marysville, WA |
Filed under: Speeding tickets
Attorney answers 2


My understanding is: Yes if to a non-Indian, no if to an Indian. Maybe some other lawyers better versed in Indian law can chip in if I'm incorrect.


I agree with the other attorney who answered as I have the same understanding. If a person is stopped by Tribal police for a criminal driving offense and is non-Indian they contact the State Patrol or Sheriff to take over the investigation. While a speeding ticket in not a criminal offense, jurisdiction to issue infractions is treated the same.

This information does not create an attorney-client relationship nor does it constitute legal advice. Evaluate this information and independently decide how to proceed. Consult an attorney who practices in the county in question.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer