Does a Police officer have a right to a search my vehicle

Milpitas, CA |

if my vehicle is parked in my inlaws parking stall an or moved is not being used and is on private parking can for any reason ask me to let them search it with out a serach warrant

Best Answer

It appears from your fact pattern that the police must obtain a warrant to conduct the search. The police can always ask for your consent to search the vehicle (or anything), and the police do not need to make a threshold evidentiary showing in order to ask for consent to search.

You thus would also have a right - the right to decline to give your consent to the search. Good luck!

This is not legal advice and the within response does not create an attorney client relationship between this office/me and any other person or entity. Hans Gillinger Of Counsel Law Offices of Bonnie Z. Yates 13323 Washington Blvd., Suite 300 Los Angeles, CA 90066 tel: (310) 204-6624 fax: (310) 204-6624 Direct: (310) 279-5048 Email: hans@bonniezyates.com web: bonniezyates.com

They can ask. You can say no.

Otherwise, they'll need a warrant or probable cause.

The above answer is for general information only and is based on the information you posted. Every case is fact dependent, so to get a thorough analysis of your situation, you will need to consult face to face with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where the incident took place. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case.

They need probable cause or obtain a search warrant unless you agree to the search.