Skip to main content

Does a person who receive SSdisability can be the sponsor for his fiance on a K-1 visa?

Orlando, FL |

Someone told me that my fiance needs another sponsor because I am a social security disable. I am from USA and he is from Morocco. His brother lives in Portland Oregon and he is able to be his sponsor. Can he be his sponsor even he lives in Portland Oregon and I live in Orlando, Florida?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

If the petitioner's income is not enough to meet the affidavit of support requirements, then, yes, they he/she will need a co-sponsor for the affidavit of support.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


Yes. Sponsor is required and an live anywhere in the us.


I agree with my colleagues that you will require a co-sponsor. It does not matter where the co-sponsor lives as long as they live in the US and meet the poverty guidelines.

Marc Taylor, Esq.


Yes he can be a sponsor. I'd have to confirm income/assets and poverty line guidlines to ensure you meet the treshold. But having a third party sponsor is not an incredibly unusual thing, it is allowed as long as the numbers make sense.

Alejandro Rivera, Attorney At Law, 407 301-5822 This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice.