Does a person requesting a Financial Disclosure have to give their Financial Disclosure first before i do?

Orland Park, IL |

i received the form from my ex-wife's attorney, but my ex-wife did not disclose hers first. Is it law that she needs to disclose hers prior to requesting from me?

no it is not the law. there may be a local court rule requiring disclosure from both of you by a certain time. if not, then she or he who asks, gets. she asked, you did not.

since you do not know the procedural rules, why not hire a lawyer who does?

i have put out a substantial amount of money in attorney fees from 2008, lost my job in 2009, and am just getting back on my feet with my current wife and other 2 children. I can not financially afford another attorney, although i would love one.

if i could have someone pro-bono accept my case, it would be great. My ex-wife is bipolar, she is living with a guy that she is not on the house, she has 2 other children with her other ex-husband, works for cash under the table, but claims Public Aid and refuses to work. My son is 15 and thought the court would decide for him to live with us, but they didnt. He does not want to hurt his mother by telling her, but at this point, my hands are tied. I can not afford another attorney as i alomost lost my house for the other one.

Gary L. Schlesinger

Gary L. Schlesinger

if i could find a pro bono plumber and electrician, that would be great also.

Wow, i think that was a little harsh.

Gary L. Schlesinger

Gary L. Schlesinger

why? we both want someone to provide a valuable service for free.

I think you're in Cook County. Cook County has a rule that deals with this. It's too long to go into in this forum. You need to know the rules.

Questions? Call -- 312-987-9999 -- no charge, no obligation. We can talk about the rules.

I have called you and left a message, so when you have time to explain, can you please call me back. Thank You very much!

There is no requirement that you must "show me yours before requiring me to show you mine." Financial disclosure, with only sa few exceptions, must e requested or it is not offered. You need a lawyer.

Check your local court rules, but neither the Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act nor the Supreme Court Rules require a person requesting discovery, such as a financial disclosure, to first disclose his or her finances before requesting the same from you.

Nothing in this post creates an attorney-client relationship. This post is not meant to serve as legal advice.

You need a lawyer, most of us do not charge for initial consult. There is no such thing "you show me yours before I show you mine." The rule is too long to go into it on this message board.

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.