Skip to main content

Does a Pending Appeal Stay Enforcement of a Money Judgement?

Los Angeles, CA |

Does a pending appeal stay enforcement of a money judgement until the outcome of the appeal?

Citations would be great!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Not unless the money awarded is for attorney fees and costs .


This is NOT legal advice, just a general discussion of the law, as we are not familiar with the specific documents and facts of your case, etc. Please consult with a competent attorney in this area of the law for specific legal advice regarding your particular case, as the advice may vary depending on the facts.



Thanks! Do you happen to know the statute/law that states that judgements for attorney fees and costs are stayed pending an appeal?


Generally speaking, no. Depending upon your situation, see the following:

Regarding when perfecting of an appeal stays enforcement of trial court judgment or order, see California Code of Civil Procedure § 916.

Regarding when perfecting of appeal does not stay enforcement of trial court judgment or order, see California Code of Civil Procedure §§ 917.1 to 917.9.

Regarding an undertaking required to stay enforcement of trial court judgment or order pending appeal, see California Code of Civil Procedure § 917.9.

On the topic of the power of the court to stay enforcement of any judgment and time limitations, see California Code of Civil Procedure § 918.

Stay of enforcement of judgment or order because of action pending on disputed claim between judgment debtor and creditor, see see California Code of Civil Procedure § 918.5.

Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice for a particular case. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult with your own attorney.



Do you agree with the other attorney that appeal of an order for attorney fees stays enforcement of judgement?


The appeal itself does not stay enforcement. You can obtain a stay by posting an appropriate bond or undertaking. Bonds can be expensive, and if you are not creditworthy you may not be able to secure one.

I am licensed only in California and this response is provided as general information only. It is not intended to be legal advice. Legal advice must be based on the exact facts of the particular situation, and by necessity this forum is not appropriate for discussion of specific, exact facts. Contact a lawyer for more specific advice. My answer to your question on AVVO does not create an attorney-client relationship.


As you can see from my colleagues' answers, the short answer is is that there is no automatic stay, but there are many qualifications to that rule and many ways to create a stay. You should consult with an appellate specialist.

Nothing contained in this communication is intended to be, or shall be deemed as, legal advice, counsel, or services to on or behalf of any person or any entity. Usage of the Avvo website is not intended to and shall not create any obligation or relationship between the user and the Law Office of Herb Fox, including but not limited to, an attorney-client relationship. Further, the communications on this website between you and the Law Office of Herb Fox may not be privileged or confidential. Finally, your situation may be governed by deadlines that may or may not have already lapsed, and you may lose your rights if you do or did not act within those deadlines.


No, generally not. You can file a motion to stay enforcement pending appeal with either the trial court or court of appeal. You will likely need to make a showing to the court of probability of success on appeal or some other good reason for the court to issue a stay of this type. Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer