Skip to main content

Does a non relative have to be a Florida resident to be an executor of a Florida will? How do I find a firm then that can write

Bradenton, FL |

The will and be my executor?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Call an estate planning attorney in Bradenton. You can use the avvo find attorney function. Most will offer free consultations.

The general advice above does not constitute an attorney-client relationship: you haven't hired me or my firm or given me confidential information by posting on this public forum, and my answer on this public forum does not constitute attorney-client advice. IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: In order to comply with requirements imposed by the Internal Revenue Service, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing, or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. While I am licensed to practice in New York and California, I do not actively practice in New York. Regardless, nothing said should be deemed an opinion of law of any state. All readers need to do their own research or pay an attorney for a legal opinion if one is necessary or desired.


Typically someone needs to be related by blood if they are located out of the state of Florida, however there are some exceptions that would allow certain non-blood relatives to serve. If your intention is to have a law firm serve as your Personal Representative, we would be happy to discuss what would be involved. Remember you can always change your Will and change who you have serving as Personal Representative.


In Florida, the term is Personal Representative. No, they cannot be a non-resident if they are not a close relative or spouse. If they are a business, they must be registered in Florida. The best way to find a good attorney to draft your will and agree to administer your estate, either as PR or as probate attorney, is to contact your local Bar association for a referral, click on the Find a Lawyer link in AVVO, or ask a few friends who have recently gone through the process. AVVO community standards prohibit us from actively soliciting your business on this forum, but know that ALL of us that participate herein are possible resources for your business.

Carol Johnson Law Firm, P.A. : (727) 647-6645 : : Wills, Trusts, Real Property, Probate, Special Needs: Information provided here is anecdotal and should not be relied upon or considered legal advice. Every matter is different and answers given here are general in nature and may not reflect current Florida law at the time you are reading this posting. Please contact me if you feel you need additional assistance with your matter.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer