Skip to main content

Does a landlord have to provide me with receipts for any repairs takne out of my security deposit when I leave?

North Haledon, NJ |
Attorney answers 1


The basic rules are: at the start of tenancy the L must provide the tenant with a written statement that the deposit is in a interest bearing account and where it is. In most towns the L must register the apartment, and comply with any CO regulations (such as a working smoke and carbon monoxide alarm). Upon leaving, the L has 30 days to provide an accounting to the T of what expenses are being deducted. It is wise to provide receipts but not required since the L can do the repairs by himself (herself). The T must provide the L with written notice of when leaving and pay all rent due. The T must provide the L with a valid address to send the accounting and balance to the T after the 30 days. It is wise for the T to take pictures of the apartment just before leaving to prove that no damage was done during the tenany. The L owes the T a return of the deposit + interest. The L may deduct reasonable and truthful expenses for repair for damage done by the T. If any of these rules are not followed by the L, the T can sue for 2x the security deposit. If there is a lawsuit, the L would defend by bringing to court the proof of apartment registration, letter to T re deposit, letter to T re accounting, and proof of repairs made.

On my profile there are several legal guides. I recommend reviewing the following which may be helpful to you:

Hiring a lawyer; Is it Legal? Is it Illegal?...Understanding the different court systems;
Introduction to Legal terms used in litigation; Limitations on a Lawyer’s License: What a Lawyer Can and Cannot Do……………………………..…………………………..

Commercial litigation: How to Handle a Dispute

Landlord Tenant Rules and Requirements in General and in New Jersey,
Landlord Tenant Litigation: Eviction, Other Lawsuits in General and in New Jersey

LEGAL DISCLAIMER…………………………………………………………………..
Mr. Sarno is licensed to practice law in NJ and NY. His response here is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. Many times the questioner may leave out details which would make the reply unsuitable. Mr. Sarno strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their own state to acquire more information about this issue.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer