Does a DWI 15 years ago disqualifies my husband from the I-601A.

Castroville, TX |

He was arrested and put in jail for a three days was caught drunk driving when he was 15 years old. He is now 31 married with me and we have 2 children will he qualify for the waiver and be able to become resident one day.

He might, but a more detailed review of the case would be prudent, including whether a waiver is needed.

You want to optimize your chances of success and waivers are complex so I strongly suggest that you work with an attorney experienced in waivers who can help prepare a strong application.

Feel free to look at my website for more information: www.tunitskylaw.com.

The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. Please consult an attorney prior to making legal decisions. Visit us at www.tunitskylaw.com. Contact us at 713.335.5505 or email at veronica@tunitskylaw.com. Veronica Tunitsky offers in-person, as well as telephone and email consultations.

Another question. My brother owes alot of child support can he still legalize his wife to become resident. She came in with a visitors visa about 6 years ago.

Based on the facts of your case it does not seem to be a crime of moral turpitude, therefore it should not make him unelegible for I-601A. You should consult with an experienced immigration lawyer to evaluate the case.

What about possesion of cocaine for personal use. Not sure if it is a felony or not.

Carlos E Sandoval

Carlos E Sandoval

That's very serious stuff with very serious immigration consequences. See an immigration attorney ASAP.

we will. This was 15 years ago though, does that still affect him. Do you know if this would prevent him from ever becoming a resident. Really appreciate your answers.

DWI alone may not be sufficient to disqualify but certainly it is not as good as a clean record when you are asking for waiver as discretion. Best Wishes!
Lalita Haran
13295 Illinois st ste 128
Carmel IN 46032
Ph: (317) 660-6174
www.haranlaw.com