Skip to main content

Does a Canadian citizen need a visa/permit to work in the US.

Lubbock, TX |

If someone is already a Canadian citizen, do they need any visa or permit to work over here in the U.S.? If so, which visa or permit would they need, and if not, what then do they need?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Yes, to work in the US, a Canadian citizen will need a work visa, just like any other foreign national. Those are the H-1B, O-1 (if extraordinary in one's field) or specific for Canadian and Mexicans, the "TN" Treaty Nafta work visa valid in 3 year increments.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


Canadian citizens enjoy many benefits int he US but he or she will need a work permit nonetheless. Speak to an attorney to see what options are available based on the profession of the applicant and employment opportunities n the US.


Canadians may visit by simply presenting a valid passport. Canadians must obtain work authorization to obtain employment by a U.S. employer.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer