Skip to main content

Does a business have to declare all monies received

New Paltz, NY |

Does a business have to declare all monies they receive to the irs

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


What kind of business? And what kind of monies? Certainly you should declare all taxable income to the IRS. Perhaps certain exceptions apply (e.g. maybe you do not need to declare a "gift"), but you should discuss this with a qualified tax attorney or tax advisor (which I am not).

Please note that this answer is not intended to serve as legal advice for any purpose. All legal advice rendered by Kurzon LLP is done pursuant to a validly executed engagement letter signed by a partner of the firm. Neither receipt of information presented on this site nor any email or other electronic communication sent to Kurzon LLP or its lawyers through this website will create an attorney-client relationship. As well, no such email or communication will be treated as confidential except as is required by law. No user of this website should act or refrain from acting on the basis of information on this site without seeking legal advice from counsel in the relevant jurisdiction. Kurzon LLP expressly disclaims liability with respect to actions taken or not taken based on the contents of this website. Under the New York Rules of Professional Conduct, Section 7.1, portions of this website may be considered attorney advertising. ============================================================================== IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: U.S. federal tax advice in the foregoing message from Kurzon LLP is not intended or written to be, and cannot be used, by any person for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed regarding the transactions or matters addressed. Some of that advice may have been written to support the promotion or marketing of the transactions or matters addressed within the meaning of IRS Circular 230, in which case you should seek advice based on your particular circumstances from an independent tax advisor. ==============================================================================


The answer is pretty much always going to be yes. In one way or another, it will need to be claimed. When your business is large enough, you are often required to submit a balance sheet with your tax return which shows money in and money out. A lot of those numbers are required to tie into each other and it's best to keep track of them from the beginning (along with your "basis" in the business, which requires a much longer treatment than possible in this forum). If you are in business, you need to find a tax professional whom you trust and feel you can work with long-term and go see that person.

THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. The answer to question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation. Mrs. Cook is licensed to practice law throughout the state of California with offices in San Diego County. She is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States, and is also licensed to practice before the United States Tax Court. IRS CIRCULAR 230 DISCLOSURE: To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, please be advised that any U.S. federal tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used or relied upon, and cannot be used or relied upon, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code, or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.


I agree with my colleagues.


All income must be declared. Loan proceeds, and equity contributions are not income. But either way, this is a nebulous question. If you are having questions about what type of income needs to be declared to the IRS, you shouldn't be doing your own taxes anyway. You should have a CPA prepare your taxes and they will hopefully ask the questions that determine what is taxable.

Christopher Larson
Insight Law

Tax Lawyer
Tax Attorney
Tax Lawyer Bellevue
Tax Lawyer Everett
Tax Lawyer Federal Way WA
Tax Lawyer Bothell WA
Seattle IRS Contact Info
Seattle IRS Tax Problems Help
Bankruptcy Attorney
Estate Planning Attorney
Seattle IRS Appeals
IRS Payment Plan
Washington B&O Tax Audit Lawyer
Washington Sales Tax Audit Lawyer