Skip to main content

Does a blood relative have inheritance rights that take precedence over relatives by marriage listed as beneficiaries in a will?

Lawrenceville, GA |

My father died recently. I met with the proposed executor of his estate and was allowed to read the will. I have not yet signed the "acknowledgement of service and consent to probate instanter".
My father left amounts of $5,000 to $10,000 each to various relatives of his late wife and left me nothing. First, as his only living blood relative, what are my chances of disputing the will and getting some or all of that money? Second, if I do plan to dispute the will, should I still sign the acknowledgement form?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


If you are planning to contest the Will, I would not sign anything without first meeting with an attorney. Whether or not you contest is a whole different consideration based on the facts of your situation, which are not included in your summary. You cannot contest a Will simply because you do not like what it says. You can generally contest a Will because: 1) it does not comply with state law requirements to be a Will, (testator did not sign the Will, or there were no witnesses, etc.); 2) the testator lacked mental capacity when the Will was signed, or 3) there was undue influence exerted against the testator. You have not said anything that suggests that any of these facts were present, but that does not mean that they were not.

Will contests are complex and difficult proceedings. An attorney is a must, if you are serious about trying to proceed.

I am very sorry for your loss.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!


When a will is properly executed in GA, it typically includes what's known as a self-proving affidavit, which indicates that the will was signed in front of two witnesses and a notary. That means challenging the authenticity would require challenging your father's state of mind at the time he made the will. In my experience, that is not nearly so easy as it sounds, most of the time.

But in short, assuming your father had his wits about him, his directions in the will would prevail.

I suggest consulting an attorney if you wish to challenge this.

If you have further questions, call me at 770-904-5115. The information and opinion rendered herein is done as a courtesy and is for general informational purposes. Nothing herein may be construed by any party as to give rise to an attorney-client relationship.


You may acknowledge the will and you can also file an objection to the will. You may also be able to seek a years support. You need to retain an attorney.

Darrell B. Reynolds,
Attorney and Counselor at Law
2385 Lawrenceville Highway, Ste D
Decatur, Ga. 30033


I assume this is a Georgia estate. If you think you have a reason to contest the Will, NO, you should NOT sign the acknowledgement. By doing so, you are agreeing that the Will is valid and should be probated. You should also consult an estate litigation attorney as soon as possible.

As your father's blood relative, you do have potential rights to his estate as an heir (you may be the only heir, based on your statement that you are the only living blood relative, but please note that adoption counts the same as blood in Georgia for most purposes, so if there are any adopted relatives they could also have rights). However, if his Will is his validly executed expression of what he wanted, then the Will will eventually be admitted to probate and you will not receive anything. Whether the Will is valid depends on many factors: whether it was executed correctly, whether it was the product of undue influence by a third party on your father and not really his true wishes, whether he was mentally competent enough to make the Will at the time he signed it, etc. However, it's not easy to overturn a Will, and it is litigation.

Again, if you think you may have a case to overturn the Will, talk to a litigation attorney specializing in estate matters as soon as possible. Timing will be critical, and so will evidence.

This answer is not intended to provide you with specific legal advice regarding your situation, or to create any attorney-client relationship. The intent is only to provide general information. You should be aware that you cannot rely on this answer to provide you with any protection against tax penalties. You should always consult your own attorney in order to obtain legal advice.


First of all, unless you have grounds to contest he will (and being left out is NOT grounds), you may be wasting money for no reason. Having said that, spend a small amount to meet with a lawyer and be sure if you have no grounds, or if you do (you'd have to show something like a lack of mental capacity, undue influence, etc.). Be aware that will contests are expensive.

As for the acknowledgment, if you sign you have likely prevented yourself from any challenge.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

James P. Frederick

James P. Frederick


Very good advice.


If you sign the acknowledgment, then you are assenting to the Will being probated. This will mean that you lose your right to contest the Will. However, if the Will was properly executed, then your only challenge would be to claim that your father lacked the mental capacity to make a Will. You should understand that this mental capacity is determined WHEN he actually executed the Will and not based upon other times. There also may be a question of Undue Influence. I would suggest talking to an estate attorney prior to signing anything.