Skip to main content

Does the re-entry permit affects my residency when I turn to USA ?

Dallas, TX |

What are the consequences that could happen ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


It depends on your purpose for the re-entry permit: are you already a permanent resident or are you in the process of applying?

If you're in the process of applying, the re-entry permit can allow you to leave and return to the U.S. without abandoning your application. You should always be careful about travel, though, while you have an application pending. Consult with an immigration lawyer first who can review all the details of your situation and better advise you.

If you are already a permanent resident, the purpose of a re-entry permit is to protect your status when you travel outside of the U.S. For most travel, you don't need a re-entry permit. However, if you're going to be out of the U.S. for more than a year, you should apply for a re-entry permit first, so that you aren't considered to have abandoned your status in the U.S.

Regardless, this sounds like something you should talk to a lawyer about before leaving the U.S., so that you can be better advised of all the possible consequences.

The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. No client-attorney relationship is created through this information. Please consult an attorney prior to making legal decisions.



I am already a permanent resident , thank u for helping


You should definitely consult with an immigration attorney before you do any traveling.

As my colleague stated, there are a number of different scenarios in which a person can have a travel document. This area of the law is rather complicated, so you most definitely should check with an experienced attorney before you leave the United States, to be sure that you don't get caught up in problems upon your return to the United States.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.


A Re-Entry Permit allows to remain outside of the US for up to two years without losing your green card.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.