Skip to main content

Do you think it is prudent to go before a judge myself to ask for a continuance?

Maple Valley, WA |

we had settled on a deal his lawyer never typed it up, too busy. he told me to drop my lawyer because we could not afford it. he is in vegas i am in seattle. He has never been unemployed ever. He wants to change all of the terms of our agreement

+ Read More

Filed under: Family law
Attorney answers 4


Who is 'he', this person who convinced you to drop your lawyer, agree to a deal, not finalize the settlement, then renegotiate anew one. Your statement is clear as mud. Yes you can file a continuance, unless there has already been one or two continuances, in which case the court may refuse.

Consider rehiring that attorney...

I am licensed in the Commonwealth of Virginia, answering your query and my answer do not create an attorney-client relationship and I am not providing you legal advice. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights--or rights to recovery of damages. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.


You do not say what type of agreement you have with "him" whom I will assume is your husband, nor is itr clear what it is that you want to have continued." In any case, the best thing to do is to get some assistance so you can be fully advised.

I would suggest that you contact a family law attorney and get a 30 minute free consultation. You may contact my office and I will be happy to discuss the issue with you right away.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER Mr. Pierce is licensed to practice law in Washing with an office in Seattle and services clients in all parts of Washington. He can be reached at 206-587-3757 or at the email address at Mr. Pierce is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Washington law. This response is only in the form of legal education and is intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Pierce strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received.


Unless and until an agreement is reduced to writing pursuant to CR2A, a court will not enforce it. You need counsel -- to rely on you ex for advice is a fatal flaw that will end badly. Please cosult with and retian an attorney to protect your rights. It is very difficult to come to an agreemnt with your ex without the advice of counsel that is not tainted by emotional stress and wll probably be unfair to you.

Hope this helps

The information is for general information purposes only. Nothing stated above should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation.


Agree with all of the answers below. It never hurts to ask for a continuance, but don't rely on getting one. Contact an attorney as soon as possible.