Skip to main content

Do you still pay child support if the child attends college?

Dallas, TX |

My court order says that I must pay support until the child graduates from high school or turns 18. I was told by a co-worker that if the child attends a 4 year univeristy full time that support continues. Is that true? My order was in the state of texas. The child lives in another state.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


There is generally no obligation to pay child support (or college expenses) for a child after they have emancipated. In Texas, the age of emancipation is 18, or as soon as they are done with high school (if the child is 18 but still in school). An obligation to continue support after that age can be created by agreement, but that will be clearly spelled out in your divorce decree (and it sounds like there's no such obligation implied in yours). It might be worth it to have an attorney review your Decree if you are still concerned - it shouldn't take longer than an hour (and probably less). Better safe than sorry when it comes to court orders!

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer