Skip to main content

Do you still have to pay child support if you sign your rights away

Knoxville, TN |
Attorney answers 1


No. However, Tennessee courts general do not let parents simply "sign there rights away". In order to have your rights terminated, there must be a hearing declaring that you are an unfit parent and terminating your rights, or there must be an individual willing to adopt your child as soon as your rights are terminated. Once your rights are teminated you have no further support obligation.

Bradley L. Henry, J.D.
800 S. Gay Street
Suite 2610
Knoxville, TN 37929
(865) 521-7422
(865) 521-7433 (Fax)

This answer is made available by the lawyer or law firm publisher for educational purposes only. It is also to give you general information and a general understanding of the law. This website is not intended to give you specific legal advice. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney providing the answer. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state. We attempt to provide quality information, but the law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer