Skip to main content

Do you need to tell current employer about misdemeanor conviction (not related to the job) with suspended sentence & probation?

New Haven, CT |

On the job application, it asked if you have any felony convictions which I had no convictions at the time when I applied. After having the job, if I end up with a misdemeanor that will not cause me to miss any time, am I required to disclose that since it was not something that would have been asked on application if I applied for job after the misdemeanor?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Based on the facts as you have reported them, in my view, "less is more". Translation: Since a misdemeanor is NOT the same thing as a felony conviction, it would appear that you need not say anything. Good luck and best regards, Rob Fortgang - Employment Law Attorneys serving Connecticut and Massachusetts / 800-932-6457 / 860-658-1055 /

ROBERT FORTGANG ASSOCIATES, LLC - DISCLAIMER These materials have been prepared by Robert Fortgang Associates, LLC and are to be used for informational purposes only. These materials are not intended, and should not be construed as legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute, an attorney–client relationship. Additionally, any submission or receipt of such information via any means of transmission does not create an attorney-client relationship. Internet subscribers and on-line readers should not act upon any of the information contained on this web site without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us information until you speak with one of our lawyers and receive authorization to send that information to us.


I agree with Atty Fortgang, if there is no requirement that you keep your employer updated with criminal convictions, there is no need to keep your employer updated. This is particularly the case if your employer is only interested in felony convictions.

If your employment may be jeopardized by the conviction, I recommend you speak to an employment lawyer like Atty Fortgang.

Note: This response DOES NOT constitute legal advice and therefore no specific action should be taken in reliance thereon. No attorney-client relationship is created through this response. You should speak to an licensed attorney in your state who is competent to answer your question before taking any action with regard to this question.