Skip to main content

Do you need to have a Round Trip ticket to enter the US with a Visitor Visa ?

Stockbridge, GA |

My mom (81 yrs old) will visit us as visitor. She came to USA before back to 1996.
Here are details of her visa history:
Her first visit on March 1996, she got 6 months stay period when she entered the US port, then she did twice extension (6 months per extension) then, she left USA on July 1997 before the extension visa expired.
In 1999, 2008 and 2010, she had tried to get visitor visa and all of them had been rejected.
Finally on May 2012, she got visitor visa. Because new visa good for one year period before expired, so she will enter the US on April 2013.
According all of the facts, does she need Round Trip ticket to enter the US with a Visitor Visa? I'll back to my country and go with her to enter US. I am green card holder (just got it). How long can she stay in US for this time?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


There is no such a requirement. With that said, oftentimes it is asked for by CBP in order to make sure you are planing on leaving on time.; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.For legal advice please contact us directly through one of the above.


It is a very good idea, since you need to prove she has no intent to immigrate. If there is no date when she intends to depart, they may not admit her, since she is essentially moving to the U.S. Rather, have her come for a limited amount of time such as 2 - 3 months and then return. If she keeps to the terms of the visa, she has a good chance of getting another tourist visa next year.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


A return ticket is an indication that one will actually leave the US. The length of stay will be determined when she enters.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104


You don't have to have a round trip ticket. But it surely helps to show that your mom will go back..

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova , New York Immigration Attorney Blog:

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer