Skip to main content

Do you need a lawyer if you want to get a divorce?

Wheaton, MN |

I want out of my marriage and I have one child at home also would like child support and alimony do not know how husband will take it.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


I agree with counsel. While it's not a requirement to have an attorney represent you, it can certainly make the whole divorce process much easier to navigate and it will also help to ensure that your rights will be protected.


Unless your husband is in agreement with your plans for child custody, support, and maintenance, then you will need a lawyer to pursue an resolution to your case that is in your best interests. My guess is that he will not be in agreement, as in most cases the parties seldom agree on everything. I suggest you retain counsel.


Hello. Based on the information in your post, I urge you to confer privately with an attorney. This is known as 'pre-divorce planning'. In seeking alimony and child support, it is definitely helpful to you to have attorney assistance, and likely to be quite cost-effective. Whether alimony is awarded to you depends upon an analysis of many factors, including but not limited to length of the marriage and the payor's ability to pay. Some attorneys, myself included, will confer for free, at no charge. Then, if legal work is performed, some attorneys, myself included, will provide a reduced fee for need. Free ('pro bono') resources for attorney help may be available in the event you are indigent or otherwise facing financial hardship. All the best.

Tricia Dwyer, Esq., Divorce Law, Child Custody & Support Law, Family Law, Rule 14 Qualified Neutral, Minnesota Supreme Court Roster Mediator, Tricia Dwyer, Esq. & Associates PLLC, Phone: 612.296-9666 EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR until 8 p.m. daily. See


The answer to your question is simply this - if you know what you're doing, then no, you don't need an attorney. But, if you know how to repair you car's transmission, then you don't need a mechanic either, right? The things you're wanting (esp. spousal maintenance) make it almost a necessity that you retain counsel - it's very complicated and not at all user-friendly.

We can be reached at 507.334.0155 (Toll Free: 888.777.5009). Our web address is: www. Answers on Avvo are not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - they are to be considered only general responses to hypothetical scenarios posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. No information contained herein should be construed as a solicitation for business, an offer to perform legal services in any jurisdiction in which the attorneys of Corbin Law Office are not licensed, or the dissemination of legal advice. No creation of an attorney-client relationship should be assumed or implied. We are a debt relief agency. Corbin Law Office helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the bankruptcy code.