Skip to main content

Do you have to pay a civil fine for shoplifting in a walmart store?

Greensboro, NC |

Criminal courts advised them that it was a scam and that it was a criminal matter not civil. Called Walmart and they said it was criminal and walmart could come after them in a civil case also. To pay $150.00 or possibly $1000.00 if not paid in 15days. Help please as they have put a stop payment on a debit payment and disputing the other payment because they were told in court it was not a civil matter.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


This is very common with Wal-Mart. Many of my clients also receive these letters as well. Basically, you are being asked to pay a "restitution" amount with the letter. The problem is, the Court is going to order you to pay any restitution owed if you plead guilty or are found guilty. Get an attorney, take the letter to the attorney, and ask them their opinion. It is not a scam but it is an attempt, in my opinion, to double dip on Wal-Mart's part.

Call Trial Attorney Dustin RT Sullivan at (910) 508-2200 or visit us at to find out more.


The $150 civil fine requested as part of the civil demand letter is separate and apart from any restitution required as part of the criminal case. The restitution in the criminal case should only be for damage, destruction, or loss of merchandise by WalMart.

You do face the possibility that if you fail to pay the $150 demanded (and permitted under civil statutes), the lawyer / WalMart can sue you. In reality, that's usually rare. But you do run that risk.

<a href="">Raleigh criminal lawyer</a> Damon Chetson represents people in Raleigh, Cary, Apex, and the rest of Wake County, North Carolina. The information provided here is for educational purposes only and should not be relied upon as the specific facts may change the potential advice. Consult with a licensed <a href="">Raleigh criminal lawyer</a> or attorney in your jurisdiction about your legal question or problem. For a free consultation about a North Carolina case, call (919) 352-9411 day or night, any day of the week.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer