Skip to main content

Do you have to have a business license to run a horse stable?

Snohomish, WA |

Thinking about opening a stable where people could board their horses and they could hire me as a trainer. Do you have to have a business license running a horse boarding stable and what happens if you don't get one? Also do you have to have insurance?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You do need a business license. You need to check the zoning for your location to determine if you can run a business out of your home. Usually something like this is ok, but you need to check. Once you know you are zoned properly, a business license shouldn't be an issue.

You do not need insurance, though it would be a VERY good idea. I love new business owners, so if you would like to have a conversation sometime over your business, feel free to call me!

Matthew Johnson phone# 206.747.0313 is licensed in the State of Washington and performs bankruptcy, short sale negotiations, and estate planning in Whatcom, Skagit, Snohomish, King and Pierce counties. The response does not constitute specific legal advice, which would require a full inquiry by the attorney into the complete background of the facts and circumstances surrounding this matter; rather, it is intended to be general legal information based on the limited information provided by the inquirer; it This response also does not constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship, which can only be established after a conflict of interest evaluation is completed, your case is accepted, and a fee agreement is signed. Johnson Legal Group, PLLC


License - yes. And I do agree about zoning issues, although you may be able to get a special use permit or variance. Insurance: I can not recommend doing any business without LIABILITY coverage, especially one which involves care and custody of other people's animals, and danger of injury to the animals, your customers, and especially their kids. Horses cause injuries.


Yes, you need a business license. Yes, you need insurance. And yes you MUST have written contracts, prepared by a local attorney, not just found on the internet. Contact Rachel Kosmal McCart,

If we do not have a signed fee agreement I am not your attorney and this is not legal advice.


You should have a business license, insurance, and possibly create a business entity. The Washington State Bar Association Animal Law Section is having an all day seminar on equine law on January 29, 2013. It will cover topics of interest to you including insurance issues relevant to stable owners and trainers. We have a special rate for nonattorneys. For more information go the the Washington State Bar website and click on January 29, 2013 or give the bar a call.

This is not to be construed as legal advice. I do not have an attorney client relationship with you.